Hey, did you folks know that writing is fun?
Writing the first act last week was a bit of a slog. I didn’t have a very strong idea of what was going on, so I drafted out a framework and planned for coming back later.
Well, now I’m a chapter into the second act and — wow — it’s coming together!
The last few thousand words have introduced:
- Evil Ruling Elite.
- Threats from the Evil Ruling Elite to blow up dragons.
- Threats from the Dragons’ Rights Activists to blow up Evil Ruling Elite.
- Reinforcing foreshadowing for the midpoint and finalé.
- Stories of weakness and regret when our heroes were not heroic.
- …and, most importantly: Laying the setup for my favourite joke of the novel.
I’ve been super-jazzed to crack on with these threads, but — as I suspected would happen — I got home from my day-job exhausted and ready for bed already.
But! I pushed through, and got myself to 12,772 words.
It’s a measly 27 words over my target for today, but I’m still overall over-target.
The plan for tomorrow
Just – keep – going!