Now that’s what I call word count!
I said yesterday that I wanted to hit 30,000 words today, and I’m wrapping up at 30,052 words!
That’s 2,824 words over my target for today!
That’s some great progress, but… I’m still under-target for 50,000 words by the end of the month.
What got wrote?
I spent today wrapping up the last few scenes of the second act, and ploughing full steam ahead into the third act.
In particular, most of today has been spent on considering how space travel might work in a world of low-technology and high-magic. So, for example, how are space suits made? How is air recycled, and the climate controlled? What effects would be observed by riders on a dragon traveling at close to the speed of light?
All this stuff is hopefully leading to a pretty exciting third act!
Tomorrow will be day 20 out of 30. We’re pretty-much two-thirds through NaNoWriMo.
This is a bit scary.
Since there’s less tolerance now for missed days, and fewer opportunities for catch-up days, I’m having a think about how I can fit the final 20,000 words into the final 11 days:
- Monday 20th: Working at my day-job, so I’ll get 1,000 words out in the evening.
- Tuesday 21st: Working at my day-job, so I’ll get 1,000 words out in the evening.
- Wednesday 22nd: Working at my day-job, so I’ll get 1,000 words out in the evening.
- Thursday 23rd: Working at my day-job, so I’ll get 1,000 words out in the evening.
- Friday 24th: On vacation from my day-job. I’m meeting some buddies (and one of them’s my editor) for breakfast then going out for dinner with my parents. I’m going to try to get 1,000 words out between things.
- Saturday 25th: I’ll have the evening to myself after Alex goes to work, so I’m aiming for 2,000 words.
- Sunday 26th: I’ll have the whole day to myself, so I’m aiming for 5,000 words.
- Monday 27th: I’ll be working at my day-job during the day, then I’ll need to pack for a business trip in the evening. Let’s aim for 1,000 words.
- Tuesday 28th: I’ll have a couple of hours on the train, so I’m aiming for 1,000 words. I’ll be speaking at an event in the evening, so I don’t think I’ll have any writing time after I get off that train.
- Wednesday 29th: I’ll have a couple of hours on the train again, and maybe a couple of hours when I get home (if I’m still awake). I’ll aim for 1,000 words.
- Thursday 30th: The last day of NaNoWriMo, and I’ve got the whole day booked as vacation from my day-job. I should only have 5,000 words to go by today, so that’s what I’ve got to do!
Well then, here’s to 1,000 words tomorrow!