Oh boy, I am in – the – zone!
The goal I set myself last week was:
I want to have the first act outlined and have started on the second act.
…and I nailed it! The first act is outlined, and I’m well into the second!
So, what’s the problem?
…because there’s always a problem, right?
This week’s problem is the same old problem I’ve always had; I can’t figure out the ending.
When I decided last week that I wanted to make this book a series, I knew exactly what the final ending was going to be; good defeating evil, self-sacrifice, happily-ever-afters, all that good stuff.
But I’ll be damned if I can find a satisfying way to wrap up this first story in the series. Maybe in a few years I’ll have the writing chops required, but — right now — every idea I have boils down to a hard-stop followed by an ad for the continuing novel.
There’s no way I’m going to do that. There’s no way I’d end the book with that much of the story hanging. Sure, there needs to be a few unanswered questions to lead into the rest of the series, but I’m not going to hard-stop.
So… I’m flip-flopping again. I’m going to tell this story in one single novel. I’ll need to revisit the outline, but I reckon it’ll pay off.
And just in case it doesn’t work, I’m going to archive the project as it stands right now. I’m not going to delete it, and I’m not going to edit it to make it fit. I’m giving myself a point in time to roll back to if this new plan goes wrong.
So, I’m starting again at zero.
My goal for next week
I’m setting myself two goals:
- Outline the story’s key eight beats.
- Write a 5,000-word summary of the story.